With a Rhône River cruise, travelers will sail through the snow-peaked Swiss Alps, Lake Geneva, and the romantic scenery of France. The river finds its natural end when it reaches the Mediterranean Sea, where sun-soaked beaches await. Once a frequently-used trade route for ancient peoples, the fast-moving Rhône River is now an exciting way to see several of the best locations Europe has to offer.
Cruise through scenic Switzerland and France on the Rhône
Along the way, cruises stop by stunning cities and villages with ancient ruins. They’ll roll into French wine country in the Côtes du Rhône, where visitors will be able to stop and pick up hard-to-find bottles while touring the wineries. Cruisers will have the chance to stop in cities packed with great food and nightlife. For those more interested in exploring, you’ll have the chance to visit many museums, architecture, and historic landmarks on these river cruises.
After a long sailing from the cooler Swiss Alps, many Rhône River cruises end up in the warm, seaside French Riviera. On these cruises, the French Riviera offers guests the chance to stretch their legs and enjoy the warm ocean breeze once the trip is over. The luxurious Riviera is full of activities. Dining, spas, hiking, and more make it the perfect place to end your trip down the Rhône.
Enjoy luxury Rhône River cruise ships
Traveling the Rhône River has never been more enjoyable than it is now. Opulent river cruise ships ensure that voyagers are able to spend time on the river in absolute comfort. While cruising, guests can relax and enjoy wines from the Beaujolais region of France and local food prepared by trained culinary specialists.
Most cruise ships have hotel-style staterooms for guests to stay and sleep in. These often have all the amenities of a high-end hotel room, with large beds, restrooms, entertainment, and even balconies all onboard. After walking around one of the Rhône’s port cities all day, there’s nothing like being able to return to the familiar comfort of your room on the cruise ship.
Several of our Rhône River cruise companies also feature restaurants, bars, and lounges on their ships. You’ll be able to watch the river’s scenery pass by with great food and drink in hand. Ships also have outdoor decks for guests who’d like to get some sun while cruising from the Alps to the French Riviera.
Explore the Rhône with our top cruise lines
All of our top cruise lines offer cruises on the Rhône River, including Viking, Scenic, and Uniworld. Learn more about the lines offering the very best Rhône River cruise options below:
Visit the best cities on the Rhône River
Because of its history as a trade route through Switzerland and France, many ancient peoples settled on the Rhône. Over the years, these small groups and villages have grown to become much larger.
Today, the Rhône has several different cities that lie along its route. Rhône River cruises may visit even more when they travel down other nearby rivers or tributaries. Here, we’ve listed our favorite city excursions for these France and Switzerland river cruises on the Rhône River.
- Geneva, Switzerland. A bustling and beautiful city in Switzerland located right on Lake Geneva. The city has a fantastic dining scene and an engaging culture. Upon arriving, you'll see the stunning Rhône-Arve Confluence, where the two rivers meet.
- Paris, France. The “city of romance,” Paris has it all. From historic landmarks to delicious cafes, everyone loves paying their dues in the city. Not technically on the Rhône, Paris is only a hop away, located on France's Seine River.
- Lyon, France. France’s unofficial food capital, Lyon has world-class dining around every corner. Lyon is truly a city for food aficionados.
- Avignon, France. A historic city known for being home to popes several centuries ago. The commune of Avignon has beautiful buildings to explore, like the Palais des Papes.
- Nice, France. This French Riviera city is a sight to behold. Full of art and beautiful, historic architecture, Nice simply can't be missed.
- Saint-Tropez, France. This French coastal city is known for its lively nightlife. Lounging on one of Saint-Tropez’s beaches is the perfect way to end a long trip down the Rhône.
Sailing the Rhône River
Voyages on the Rhône River are one of the most popular French river cruises, and for good reason. Cruisers will have the chance to try some of the world’s best food and wine while traveling the river. Despite its faster waters, the Rhône offers one of the most relaxing European river cruises. If traveling the Rhône wine region, sailing through Switzerland, or stopping in the best cities of France peaks your interest, look no further than the Rhône River.